Friday, January 01, 2010

Oh.. thy name is Temptation..

I went out to meet a friend who's came back to Korea for a visit from Japan and buy 'The Painted Veil" by Maugham Somerset. Yes, I went to Kyobo bookstore in Kangnam.. and what do you know.. 30% off on all the foreign books till today.. yup, it was there year end clearance sale and I could not resist but give in the temptation and buy.

Though, you do have that guilty conscience in one corner telling you 'You really shouldn't be spending more money since you've been on a vacation and did spend a lot of money. And besides, remember how many books are shelved at home that are waiting for your attention..' Yes, yes, I know... If I'd been more self-controlling around bookstores and keep my hands right by my sides and my eyes looking straight just searching for the book that I need I actually might have been able to buy the only one book that I came for and walked out..never look back.. no maybe a glance but with pride that I did not misbehave in anyway.... but ooooohhh I can't do that.. looking for 'The Painted Veil" my eyes wandered and searched for some books that I could get cheaper, I mean hey, they're having a sale!!! it's not everyday you get 30% off, right?

So, I piled up about 5 books before I actually saw "The Painted Veil" and by the time I found it well, actually as I found it my eyes were on 3 other books that I wanted.. YES!!! That excitement is actually 1/3 of finding the book that I was looking for and 2/3 for piling up the books that I've wanted ;) Excuse my enthusiasm.. but for the price of about 135,000won I got 10books of which one was actually a present for my sister, I think I got a good deal because without the discount it would have been about 194,000won. so I got about 2 books for free ;)

Here are the ones I got;
  • The Glory Field by Walter Dean Myers
  • The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
  • The Night Watch by Sarah Waters
  • The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
  • The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers
  • Say you're one of them by Uwem Akpan
  • The Character of Rain by Amelie Northomb
  • The Life of Hunger by Amelie Northomb
  • Sulphuric Acid by Amelie Northomb
  • The Architecture of Happiness by Alain De Botton (present for sis)

and yes this year's resolution involves reading lots and lots of books, starting with these ;)

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Veronica, way to hit that 30% off sale...good job. I wish I could have joined you...I'm planning a trek to Bandi and Luni sometime in the near future. Whooo!
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete